Tuesday 16 October 2007

My Nature Photography

I took my first-ever picture way back in 1963 using a friend's box camera. We were young college students then; I was just seventeen.
The three of us went to a spot we thought was scenic enough to place us in romantic perspective vis-a-vis the Bollywood movies of the fifties and the early sixties. Devanand and Joy Mukherjee were our idols then.
When the 12 black and white box shots were washed and printed, we were thrilled to look at them. I was satisfied with my first-ever shot: both my friends looked good in it.
I kept all the 12 pictures with me until I lost them 20 years later. How I did that, I do not remember.
Possessing a personal camera eluded me until 1994 when I went for a Yashica SLR at Kathmandu before starting on my third trek to the Everest Base Camp. I had used my eyes only to capture the stunningly beautiful vistas of the Sagarmatha National Park during my earlier two treks in 1982 and 1985.
My first digital camera was presented to me by my son on my fifty-fifth birthday. It was a Sony S50. I used it extensively for 4 years until I went for Nikon D200 in 2006. I use 3 different lenses with this DSLR .
The images contained in my Treknature Album present a chronological graph of my work as an amateur nature photographer.
Some of the images, however, are the scans of pictures I had taken with my film SLR.
You can see all my pictures on Treknature.com. Just click the widget below.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Sir,

I'm writing about your wildlife photography now and continue later with other musing.

You have keen eyes for details. Butterflies are so vivid and colourful without exageration which speaks volumes for themslves.Colour compositions are young in nature and it is an inspiration to get acquaintance of a hexagenarian with this caliber.
I lookupon you to learn more.

-vral

Ram Thakur said...

I am flattered by your kind remarks, Vral.
Thank you very much for visiting me.
Ram

Roynsam said...

Hi Ram

This is a great Blog my friend.
It is great to unwind whilst viewing and reading your photos and writings.
The text you put down about your travels and experiences in these pages comes across in moving pictures in my mind.
I have put a link to your blog on my website,www.wildkingdoms.net and I have also sent a link to my friends Aditya Singh in Ranthambhore and Visy Viwanath in Mumbai.
Thanks very much.

Best Regards

Roy

Ram Thakur said...

Hello Roy,
Thank you very much for placing a link to my blog on your distinguished web page.
I feel honoured.
Your website is coming up very well and speaks volumes about your devotion to and concern for the tigers in India and elsewhere.
I wish you all the best.
Aditya Singh is doing a great job at Ranthambhore. In addition to being a warm host, he seems to have a deep passion for the welfare of tigers. I have made up my mind to visit Ranthambhore before the onset of next summer.
His blog is excellent. Thanks for leading me to it.
You are very kind to write encouraging words on my Travel Travails. Frankly, I don't expect many people to read it.
Best regards,
Ram